Cost Accountant jobs in South Africa
Cost accountants oversee and analyses cost expenditures and purchases within an organization. it is a form of management accounting. They analyze data and advice on cost-efficient ways of conducting business. Cost accountants are part of management accounting where they work to manage the operational cost of a company from inventory on hand, cost of goods sold and purchases. Cost accountants are responsible for analyzing profitability, expense and budgets. Cost accountants must be analytical thinkers with the ability to solve problems quickly. They must pay attention to details to the finest details. Successful cost accountants must have a deep interest in the cost-efficient operations of a firm. Cost accountants must be good at report writing and making presentations to upper management. The average salary of a senior cost accountant in South Africa is an estimated of R458 000 per year.
Below is a comprehensive list of the duties and roles of a Senior Cost Accountant
• Develop and maintain the cost accounting system
• Analyze and recommend costs and cost savings.
• Conduct internal cost audits.
• Collect and analyze data
• Analyze any changes in goods or services provided in order to determine what effect it has on the cost.
• Analyze manufacturing costs and prepare regular reports comparing standard costs to actual production costs.
• Make estimates of new and proposed product costs.
• Provide management with reports that specify and compare factors that affect the prices and profitability of products or services.
Qualifications and requirements
Employers prefer a bachelors degree in accounting or any related field. Candidates must have the ability to pay attention to detail and must be critical thinkers. They should be analytical in nature for them to be able to do their job well.
• Interpersonal relations
• organized and time conscious
• collaboration abilities
• Being detail-oriented
• Risk management
• IT skills
• Math Skills